Sunday, April 7, 2013

Dining Chair Update

My dining room furniture is a great mid-century style set from the 1960s, but the fabric on the seats was old, worn, and not my style.

Changing out the fabric of your dining chairs is an easy and inexpensive way to give yourself a whole new look. There's already a million tutorials on the internet about how to change out the fabric, so rather than post a whole new how-to, I found a link to this great guide on HGTV.com.

Here's my chairs before and after...



















Because the old cushions were as flat as pancakes, I'm also adding in a new layer of foam padding to make the seats more comfortable. To do this, I just bought a big roll of 1" foam at Hobby Lobby and traced the shape of the chairs onto it with a marker. I cut it out and just layered it between the fabric and the wooden seat base.

Lesson #3: Never pay full price at Hobby Lobby. There is always a 40% off any item coupon on their website that you can print from home. If you have a smart phone, you can also pull it up on their website or download their app. You can use a new coupon everyday. Gary and I pulled up the coupon on our phones, went through the line as two separate transactions, and BAM, 40% off our purchase of fabric and foam!

Lesson #4: When you buy fabric for any upholstery project, think about the way it's going to look when cut and shaped to your piece of furniture. The fabric I selected was actually my second choice. I really adored the Hobby Lobby fabric used on this bench project from DIY blog, Inspired Again, but to get the circular pattern to look right on my chairs it would have doubled my yardage (expensive)!! So in the end, Gary and I agreed on the dark gray and yellow because I could cut the pieces in any direction (minimizing yardage needed). We also liked that it was dark and will hopefully hide dirt and stains a little better.


Normally, recovering chair seats is an easy task, but it's taking me forever because there are so many layers of old fabric to remove and my poor hands can only take pulling out so many old upholster tacks at one time!! I should be done by the end of the week though!


No comments:

Post a Comment